My favourite blogs

Saturday 8 October 2016

Visiting Priory Quilters and Graffiti Quilting

Quite a full on week so far.  Started teaching a beginners patchwork and quilting course at Coleridge School with four days notice! The teacher engaged to teach the class was no longer available and they asked me if I could do it instead. More of this another day but the class were lovely and not at all phased by the unfamiliar sewing machines and no bobbins. We somehow managed and made a start on finding how to sew a 1/4" seam followed by a bit of crazy patchwork. Everyone said they would come back next Monday!

Tuesday was fully occupied in getting ready to speak to Priory Quilters at Royston Town Hall. Several bags of Ukrainian textiles and various quilts were used to illustrate my talk (otherwise known as ramblings about my life in textiles).


Here are some of the items on display..


and more of the pile. 

I had a very warm welcome from the group and the talk was well received. Well they laughed at my little jokes and clapped at the end. The best bit, for me, was that many ladies came to speak to me at the end and they poured over my quilts with great interest. 

I am running a workshop for the group this Saturday so more on that another day. We are making a Christmas table runner. 

In between all of the above, I had treated myself to a new book called 'Graffiti Quilting' by Karlee Porter. I found her on U-Tube and thought I'd have a go at this technique. Looks easy? 




First go where I did use a water soluble pen


followed by....



I added in the graffiti 'trademark' of an arrow...then this one.



I clearly need to spend a fair bit more time on this but I did enjoy this free motion stitching technique.  Something to work on during the winter months! 






No comments:

Post a Comment