My favourite blogs

Sunday 30 October 2016

Cambridge Quilters Workshop with Anja Townrow

Following on from my last post I thought I would write about the brilliant workshop we all enjoyed (if that's the right word) with Anja Townrow.  

The topic of the day was 'Curved Piecing' and Anja had put together a project to teach us how to do curved piecing. That is, the entire background to the patchwork was pieced either around leaf shapes or a fish.  If time allowed we could then add applique and/or built in embroidery stitches. So this is what were were aiming for!  Most of us chose the flower, top left,  but a couple of brave souls chose the fish.



There followed five hours of intense work......I found this, by far, one of the most difficult things I've ever had to do in my 'sewing' life.   So this is the design I picked...



We had to copy the design (not the flower) and trace the shapes onto freezer paper. We then laid out the shapes in the same orientation as they appeared in the design (for straight of grain).



We then added a seam allowance and some balance marks and cut them out. 


Much careful pining and sewing later to put it all together again. 






We eventually pressed it all and cut off excess fabric. Here's Pam with hers.




 Voila! This looks brilliant! Just add flowers...


And the fish....just add decorative stitching.

My efforts were less than perfect although after five hours of intensive work, I did manage to finish the background.  I found this to be one of the most challenging workshops (in a good way) that I've ever attempted. Got home, put my stuff away, made cauliflower cheese, ate dinner with my husband and was fast asleep by 9pm.  I can now look at pieced quilts with a much greater appreciation of the skills involved. 


Pam Southworth posted a picture of her finished piece on the Cambridge Quilters' FaceBook page.  Well done Pam.










No comments:

Post a Comment