My favourite blogs

Sunday 29 November 2015

Raffle prize- jewellery lesson

When I took part in a Christmas market at Cambridge Community Church (C3) I offered a raffle prize of a free jewellery making lesson. The prize was worth over £25. The lucky winner, Ruth, came yesterday with her daughter, Mary to claim the prize. Mary, aged about 13, already had an interest in making her own jewellery so she was very pleased to get a few more pointers. She brought some of her own beads and learned how to use a crimping tool to make a necklace with a lovely silver toggle. Mary practised how to  make a wire loop for earrings, making three sets in all. I also showed her how to use memory wire cutters and so on. 

The top photo shows Mary making a selection of beads. the next photo shows her level of concentration using a pair of pliers.  

I think she is going to be making quite a few Christmas presents for her family this year!. I suggested that she didn't go 'mad' buying beads, etc. but to make some small but considered purchases. It's all too easy when you are starting out to buy too many components. I have directed her to visit  The Beaderie. It's an amazing bead shop right here in Cambridge just along Bridge Street. Open after 10am each day but closed on Sundays,

If any of my readers are interested in learning the basics please contact me. A one to one lesson is £25. The lesson will last a minimum of one hour and I will not let you leave until you have mastered the basic tools and techniques to make a lovely necklace and pair of earrings. You would be welcome to bring a broken necklace, etc to mend but I would supply some pretty beads and findings (posh name for ear wires and clasps, etc).  Why are you waiting? Bring a friend for a small extra fee. I would love to do hen parties and girlie birthday gatherings. 

I love to use Swarovski crystals when making jewellery and freshwater pearls. I have finally mastered the art of knotting pearls so get in touch if you need something restringing.   Contact me marion.curtis53@gmail.com 

I can also recommend the lovely bead shop Bluestreak beads; their website is a great source of supplies.  

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Marion for such a lovely crafting morning! Mary was delighted to create such wonderful items of jewellery and learn some new skills which I'm sure will aid her to having a go at home. She is keen to try out some of the different techniques you have taught her and even more keen to visit the Beaderie to buy lots of new materials! Thanks again - we certainly won a good prize! Ruth

    ReplyDelete