My favourite blogs

Friday 9 September 2016

Cambridge Quilters Chairman's Challenge 2016 Mark 2

I described in a previous post how Cambridge Quilters are set a challenge each year by our Chair. We don't have to join in but it's a great way of getting to know other members. I wrote about the set of Egyptian themed place mats started by me which went around my group.  I thought it would be a good time to show what I made for the other members in my group....

Elaine's bag contained a batik jelly roll and she requested the blocks came out at 12" (finished).  With a good eye for putting colours together Elaine made her first block. 


So, here is the block I made for Elaine. Not too hard then? 


The next bag proved to be a bigger challenge....there was a Christmas theme with the idea of making a lap quilt.  With quite a few design ideas to choose from I decided to tackle this one. It was quite big at 22" x 12".   I first had to create the 'background' and pieced together several fabrics. The Christmas tree in the centre was foundation pieced. 

 Then I drew all the letters using the Techsoft 2D tools drawing programme. I printed them out, fiddled with the sizes and finally cut them out of fabric using Bondaweb. After some careful appliqué I was done. Phew, that took a while. 



In the next bag, I found a maritime theme and the bag owner had started off stitching these beech huts. Red, white and blue fabrics were requested on a sort of 'shabby' background which was provided. 


 

The next person in rotation made this light house! No pressure then! 


I decided to keep things simple and researched maritime flags. The design of the flags have a meaning but these were rather random. So this is my contribution......


and here is a close up of me free machine stitching it. I used some vilene to support the fabric and used a hoop for tension.


The next bag, from Jane, proved to be an even bigger challenge. Jane asked for circles and she had made an amazing New York Beauty block which I now regret not photographing. I knew that it was possible to make a 'log cabin' block which, when you make four, will look circular. I struggled to make this design down in scale to make a 12" block so I just had to make four. I think Jane plans to make this the centre of her final quilt. Isn't log cabin versatile? 



The last bag proved to be very different from all the others. On opening the bag I found recycled denim, pink appliqué, buttons and the like. All very 'casual' for want of another name. So I decided to improvise and made a series of corded pin tucks, stitched lines of built in embroidery patterns and added some 'rough and ready' appliqué. I then added pink buttons to complement the pink fabric used on a other block. 






I have so much enjoyed each and every mini project and when we all got together to return the bags and contents to the original owner everyone seemed pleasantly surprised, if not amazed, by the results. I know I was. 


As I write I hope the others in this group are well on the way to completing their quilts which should be ready for the big reveal next January. I wonder what our next challenge will be? 

















No comments:

Post a Comment