My favourite blogs

Friday 19 August 2016

Festival of Quilts 2016


To kick off this blog posting I must show you the prize wining quilt by Moira Neal from Cambridge Quilters. Moira entered the Quilt Guild's competition on the theme of 'On the Beach'.  Moira was awarded the third prize and everyone in Cambridge Quilters is pleased for her. Moira has a very distinctive style. There is much humour in her designs and have a lot of detail in them.  Boris Johnson is leaping out of the Brexit balloon in the sky line! 



The actual quilt is much larger than it looks in this photograph - about 2 square metres. Cards are being produced and will be available from Moira's website shortly




Here is a close up of a rather charming scene...



A close up of the free motion quilting-Moira only stitches in black thread. I am reliably  informed that the majority of the quilting was done on a very hot day and Moira only wore her crystal necklace at her sewing machine.  


The artist herself....do visit http://www.thefallenangelco.com/


The Festival of Quilts was excellent as always. This was the forth year in a row that I have attended. Each year I think I will give it a break but don't!  For anyone who hasn't been, the FoQs fills up three of the big halls at NEC. It is a huge exhibition and includes trade stands from every sewing machine company you can think of, hands on workshops you can book and smaller stands with individual artist/designers exhibiting their wares. 

I made a big mistake of going around the traders before visiting the exhibitions. Why? Well the traders sections were very busy and I must of got in some people's way with my little shopping trolley.  By the afternoon, this section is much quieter.  There are many, many exhibitions. Some from UK groups and some that are International. Too many to describe here in detail but a few quilts caught my eye. 


I liked this piece by Jenny Rolfe-she printed the fabric, pieced it and quilted it. Simple but effective. 


I'm always drawn towards vibrant colours and I liked this piece. It's beautifully executed with appliquéd circles and fine machine quilting.  



Helen Howes had a lovely quilt with her trademark trees. The negative space is full of free machined leaves. 


I really liked this landscape


I've always loved African printed fabric and this one caught my eye with it's flying geese blocks and the appliqué geese on the border. 


The next few close ups were from a quilt by a lady who came to speak at Cambridge Quilters called Gilli Theokritoff. She made a 'background' of tiny pieces of fabric to make a mosaic then applied flowers and leaves. 








I photographed these details simply because I loved the variety of floral forms. 

Finally, a small piece designed and made by Gillian Travis who often teaches at one of my favourite places - The Bramble Patch    Gillian is often influenced by ethnic designs, in this case Indian motifs. I liked this pieces because it is simple but very effective. The colours really 'sing'. 

As always there was so much to see and do at the Festival but I need to use some of my special purchases in the next few weeks. 









No comments:

Post a Comment