My favourite blogs

Saturday 27 August 2016

Christmas is coming!

Despite the weather being exceptionally hot, I've made a start ready for Christmas.  I picked up this panel from the Bramble Patch last February. It was reduced in a sale so I couldn't resist. I pieced a red band around the central panel then added the 'Happy Holidays' border. not very creative but a means to an end.  Although it doesn't show up in the photo, I machined embroidered the baubles on the Christmas tree before quilting the large star. I did some simple quilting 'in the ditch' to complete the design and added a plain red binding. 



I was asked some time ago if I would give a talk and run a workshop for Priory Quilters in Royston. Of course I would!  The title of my talk is 'Passionate About Textiles' and will take place on Tuesday 4th October in Royston Town Hall.  I am the running a workshop for the group called 'Festive Table Runner'. This will be on Saturday 8th October at  Vicarage Close Melbourn SG8 6DY. 

The plan is to teach how to sew this Christmas table runner. Made of a series of triangles, what makes this special is the use of some rather unique fabric. 

This series of festive prints was designed by a friend called Jo Clark. Jo posted her designs onto Spoonflower, discovered by Cloud9 and put into production.  

This refreshingly simple festive fabric was an inspiration to me so I designed this table runner that will form the basis of my workshop.  I used straight line quilting to add interest. 

Close up of the runner

 I made all the samples last spring but got to work this week making a sample in more 'traditional' Christmas fabric.  I added a simple vermicelli quilting to the trees and a smaller scale version to the white background between the tree trunks. 



Runner with traditional Christmas fabric

Here's an earlier version with straight line quilting. 



Last, but not least, I have several packs of bunting kits prepared for sale. The kits comes with a selection of Jo's prints ready cut out to stitch together, some red bias binding and a set of comprehensive instructions. The kit makes a string of eleven large flags, 2.5m long using eight different fabric prints. 

Each kit is ten pounds. Email me marion.curtis@ntlworld.com if interested and I'll work out the postage or delivery arrangements. 





No comments:

Post a Comment