My favourite blogs

Sunday 6 March 2016

Duxford Quilt Show Spring March 2016

After the Amish lecture, Jane and I headed off for a bit of retail therapy and quilt gazing at the Quilt Show in Duxford. As always several groups were exhibiting.  'Nine-Patch Challenge' by the Aldwick Quilters, 'Connection' by Cwilt Cymru, 'Nautical Inspirations' (Journal Quilt Challenge', 'Saints of Cornish Churches' by Cornish Quilters and Stitchers, 'Drunk and Disorderly' by the Dolly Mixtures and many, many more. Lots to see.

I can't recall which group made the quilt on the left but it was amazing. The detail of the back end of a Jacquard loom was very good and reminded me of my textile 'roots' in Rochdale. 







I didn't take too many photos but was 'taken' by the three below. This red/white /black piece was very heavily free machined quilting. Simple but lovely. 


 These last pair were from the Cabot Quilters' Challenge (2016) 'Purple Mist'.  The colour purple had to dominate the quilt. This one on the left had fine organza overlaid on different areas and of course, the one below is a variation of the good old 'log cabin', wonky style. 

As for my purchases I was most restrained. I bought no fabric in 2015 (yes really!) and I don't need anymore this year. However, I did see a nice animal print panel which I will make into a lap quilt for my grandson. The print was lovely and it had a strong orange border which my grandson rather loves. 







I did succumb to buying a gadget though. From watching 'The Quilt show' from the USA I have noticed that long arm quilters have been doing a lot of 'ruler work'.  This trend has percolated through to what is called 'sit down quilters'. When free machine quilting, a ruler is used up against the darning foot. A good idea but one would need a special foot on your machine otherwise the needle would slip under the ruler and either break the needle or damage the ruler.   The slight snag is that Bernina do not seem to make this special foot although brands like Janome do. 

 So, I came across the stand for  'Parrs Reel Ruler'    Chatting to the lady she told me they did a special attachment for a Bernina so I couldn't resist. The kit includes a teflon mat for your sewing machine table, the special presser foot and a ruler with a slot in it. I will be trying this out fairly soon I'll report back when I've had a dabble.                                               


No comments:

Post a Comment