My favourite blogs

Sunday 21 February 2016

Textiles In Focus 2016

I always look forward to this weekend in February as the Textiles In Focus Exhibition takes place. This year it has moved away from Cottenham Village College to Cambourne Village College. Luckily the organiser had the roads well signposted as my newish Sat Nav wanted to take me to the middle of a ploughed field.  This exhibition is not huge but, for me, heralds the start of the new 'sewing season'. Ideas are formed, materials purchased, friends caught up with. 



I rarely attend any of the workshops but always have a good look around the exhibition and trade stands. I must admit that I felt the event lacked something in 'atmosphere'. There were not many visitors when I was there and therefore none of the usual 'buzz'. I searched out my friend Agnes Asselin from Cambridge Open Studios. Agnes creates wonderful pictures using African fabric.


Here is Agnes on her stall. 


And a close up shot of some of her framed pictures. Agnes also makes cards, and sells jewellery, either ready made up or in kit form.  

I also bumped into Jenny Langley. Jenny is a local textiles artists who champions using recycled materials. http://www.arttextiles.co.uk/


I have known Jenny for many years. She has many interests including machine embroidery, printing and her famous storytelling mats. It's well worth looking at her website for more information. This picture shows her amidst her canopy of textile art connected with her work with Sense. I couldn't begin to write everything about Jenny but do go to her website. 

Next, I found Annette Morgan....



 Annette was busy demonstrating with Mary Mackintosh. Annette is very well know in the UK and it's thanks to her that I first got involved in indigo dyeing, which led in turn to patchwork and quilting. Annette is an art quilter and often uses print as a basis of her designs. 


After shopping around I finally found what I was looking for. I have in mind to make felted and embellished notebook covers in time for my July Open Studios. Although there are five months before the event, one can never get organised too early! 



I almost forgot to say that I was the guest speaker at Cambridge Quilters, Grantchester Village Hall, on Friday morning. The talk was entitled 'Passionate About Textiles'. I reflected on why I gave this as the title and decided it is simply because I am compelled/obsessed with textiles. Moreover, textiles is not only my hobby bit had been the basis of my entire career. I brought along some Ukrainian textiles as well as various embroideries, weaving and even macrame. My early forays into patchwork and quilting are somewhat embarrassing in hindsight but pleasing to see how much I have improved over time.  I was very pleased with all the positive feedback and a few ladies asked me if I might do a workshop based on my fibonacci quilt series.   I can't wait. 












No comments:

Post a Comment