My favourite blogs

Friday 29 July 2016

Visitors make their own earrings and more


I closed my studio doors to visitors last Sunday feeling very pleased with how my 'open studio' had gone. It is quite a lot of work.....not just designing and making things but deciding on presentation and pricing, as well as personal advertising and social media.

As I do both textiles and jewellery I had quite a bit on display. The photo shows me in my gazebo with my textile wall hangings and quilts. There were also a few bags-mostly sold- and a few items such as cards and felted notebooks.  

I decided I would try to set myself apart from other jewellery makers in Cambridge Open Studios and offer a 'make your own earrings' service. This proved quite popular.  An early visitor and friend from Cambridge Quilters made quite a visual impact with her bright green top that I suggested she made a button necklace. Funky eh? 



Next comes Tania who works for Spirus, the marketing company used by COS.  Tania was inspired by these acrylic discs to make herself some earrings. 


Another visitor created these freshwater pearl drops


and Agnes put together range and purple to make these. Apologies for the not brilliant photo quality.


There were many more but I love these next earrings made by a good neighbour. Hilary was desperate to make some earrings to match the red skirt she was wearing. Red is a tricky colour to find in glass beads but we managed!   I think these earrings are stunning, especially when the red bead is teamed up with Swarovski crystals--not just tiny bicone beads but one which is more of a flat disc. 


This week has been one of sorting out my studio ready for more creativity including a special commission for another Cambridge Open Studios artist who asked me to make her a one-off pearl necklace.  It's quite an honour and privilege to make something unique that you know with be treasured by that person. 






No comments:

Post a Comment