My favourite blogs

Sunday 13 December 2015

Beach scene embroidery


The piece below came back from the framers earlier this week. It is an art quilt/embroidery made during a Cambridge Quilters workshop in the autumn. The speaker at our meeting was Natalie Manley . We were asked to take floral fabric to the workshop and to have ironed on some Bondaweb drawn with one inch square. Just to be contrary, I decided to use a selection of fabrics from my stash. Marram grass and beach prints, beach huts, sea and skies. We removed all the Bondaweb and carefully placed it on a base fabric with wadding. Ironed it all into place then added free machine embroidery, etc. I was quite pleased with the composition and how I mixed up the beach hut pieces.  I spent a considerable amount of time adding more thread work followed by a few small shells and ceramic discs. Looking at it now I think I must revisit this technique and see where it might evolve.  My first step will be to trawl through sketch books to look for new starting points. 




No comments:

Post a Comment