My favourite blogs

Sunday 7 June 2020

Making Something New From Old, again

Last February or so I was approached to make a special gift by a local music teacher. Could I use the fabric to make a single bedspread?  I soon realised that there was not enough fabric to do this. ideas were exchanged by email, and we finally agreed on a cushion using as many fabrics as possible.

The little girl’s baby dresses were in very good condition but working with knitted jersey is not ideal for a  patchworker.  I stabilised the fabrics and cut out 5” squares to assemble together.  I arranged the blocks with light grey fabric in between which is known as ‘sashing’.  Luckily I bought the fabric and wadding about one hour before the shop closed for lockdown.


Here is the cushion laid flat and below is a slight better view, side on. I decided to quilt with a pebble design in the grey sashing which made to dress fabric more prominent. 


Finally, the cushion in its final home. 
Hopefully the item can be used for cuddling from now until the young lady leaves for university. 


At the start of the Covid-19 lockdown, I didn’t feel much inclined to do anything creative but the cushion certainly got my creativity going. So, I had fabric left over....had just enough to make a doll’s bedspread.  Here it is being tried out for size....



The cushion was meant to be a gift for a baptism in April and I hope it will take place very soon. 



No comments:

Post a Comment