My favourite blogs

Sunday 22 January 2017

Pineapple blocks are not so hard after all.

I have  always wanted to try out making the well known pineapple block but despite owning the special ruler from Creative Grids, never quite round to it.  

With the new term looming I felt I ought to give it a try before atempting it at my adult education class. Obviously you could paper piece it but I did find a couple of methods of making this fascinating block. 

First of all, I tried the 'exploding' method, much publicised by Karin Hellaby who used to own Quilters' Haven out at Wickham Market. This is a neat method of making this block, without any special rulers.  You simply place two identical squares (one dark and one light) together, sew all around then cut through the uppermost square to create each 'round'. This method is  easily found on U Tube so I will not linger over the method.  I started with a small centre square but there seemed to be a maximum size before the block was no longer a square. The biggest drawback is that each 'log' has to be the same colour (because they have all emerged from the same square of fabric). This is not impossible to overcome but very fiddly. 


I then thought I would try out my special ruler.  Starting with a dark centre of two and a half inches, you stitch on a round of 'logs'. These are pre cut to one and seven eights of an inch wide, and long enough to cover the sides. 



Then you trim and add another round.......


The Creative Grid Pineapple trim tool is very accurate but it takes a while to get adjusted to all the different markings and pay close attention as to whether you are on a even numbered or an odd numbered round...


Doing quite well....quite like the colours so far



Until  I didn't pay enough attention and lopped off the wrong bit....didn't I say you had to pay attention? 



So, I just had to resort to reading the instruction leaflet but did whip up this block in no time.  





And finally this one with batik fabrics. This could become quite compulsive. 

By the way, the ladies in my class found this easy and very enjoyable. 












No comments:

Post a Comment